I guess it happens to everyone. When things don’t work out the way you want, or when something bad happens to you, and you’re left out with a really bad feeling, disappointment and anger. At this point it might feel like the issues you are facing right now are the worst possible problems in the whole wide world. Then you feel really sorry for yourself and things are just looking bad, inside and out. So what should you do about it? How about you take a step back, literally and mentally, and assess everything from a different, wider perspective? you have to look at the BIG picture:
- Start with the event in subject. Whatever just happened, how would it impact your life in a week? a month? a year?
- Make sure you appreciate what you’ve got. It would make you feel really good looking at the most important things in your life and what you have achieved so far. How good is that?
- Look at other people and the challenges they have to deal with in their own lives – it should make you feel really lucky that your problems are relatively (and hopefully) small compared to others around you.
- Consider how things are generally positive for you right now in your life, compared to how negative things can actually become! Feel blessed that the core things in your life are healthy and happy and embrace it with all your heart.
- Recognize that some things are simply out of your hands, so you will have to accept that you cannot change it.
- Be realistic about it – you cannot simply have everything you want. In life, some you win, some you lose. Tomorrow is another day. Wake up with anticipation for new opportunities.
- Any failure can lead to tremendous success in the future. “When you lose, don’t lose the lesson” (Dalai Lama).
- Believe that everything happens for a reason. And if it’s not meant to be, you cannot do anything about it.
- Smile, because the world is such a great place after all. So when you’re feeling down, get out there, go to a place you like – the beach, the mountains, the bush – to remind yourself how awesome life actually is.
- Everything is part of a long journey. If you think long-term you will allow yourself to ignore any short-term bumps along the way. Nobody said it was going to be a smooth ride.
- Life is what you make of it. So chin up, deep breath and give it your best shot.
At the end of the day
Some you win, some you don’t
So I’m glad that I’m here
With some friends that I know
Always there with a smile
Saying you’re not alone
Singing la la la la